Friday, January 20, 2012

08. Ripples

At the Winter ball, I spoke with a countess on the subject of the triat, and she tested me. She asked of the war against the Wyrm, and seemed confused-- for she thought we were trying to destroy it. When i told her that to do so would not be advisable, that it cannot be destroyed, that it is our duty to bring it to balance-- to combat it where it is too strong... when i told her that all beginnings must have an end, and that without the wyrm creation would go on unchecked-- without the weaver, it would lack purpose... she said to me

"You are wiser than your elders"

Of course, I was taken aback, I thanked her, and said that they are indeed wiser than I, and more experienced. But she held firm. She said I was the only Garou she had met that truly understood.

I did not press her further... and she did not seem averse to this...

But, back to the heart of the matter... the reason I am writing... I remember her asking me a question.... one I have reflected on more and more since my conversations with Sheep Killer, Patterns of Light and Shadow, and Nemo-Rhya.

She asked me: "What ripples do you make, Sovereign Heart?"
To which I responded, "Very small ones, for now, My Lady" trying to sound modest.

But she laughed and said there was no such thing.
And she was right.

Patterns of Light and Shadow,  Double Aught, Walks the Wire, Slaughters the Fable, Moon-Duster, Falcon's Screeching Beak... Nemo, Shadows of the Past, my beloved pack mates--even my dear cousins, Joseph, and Gareth. All of these noble warriors have touched me. All of their ripples have coincided with mine....

...some have run to the Galliards to speak of my wisdom or honor.  Others have shown silent support for my cause by teaching me what they know.

I feel that I am getting closer. That I am walking the right path in order to restore my tribe to its former glory.  To showing the world that we are true and just leaders, ordained by Sun and Moon...to show my tribesmen that leading does not always mean wearing the crown yourself.

I feel that the hearts of the nation have begun to stir, and that they want to join together for the good of the mother. I grow more confident that we can and will unite in time to stave off the apocalypse. I only wish I could give others the same hope.

I wonder... as a child of  Falcon, how will my actions now affect the future? What ripples am I truly making? How will those ripples affect the pond, when I am no longer here to make them?

A good king, a true king, rules firmly and fairly. He serves his people foremost.

The king who does not do this, who believes he is entitled to his power. Who abuses it, and uses it for his own means, is a tyrant. If you live alone, and your actions affect only you-- then you may do what you will... but when you have power, or influence your every action will be as a drop of water in a still pond.

That drop will splash against the surface and make ripples.

And what are we all, but drops of water in a pond?

No comments:

Post a Comment